Attorney covers the face of defendant Gary Council; Craig Warga/New York Daily News
A Queens gang turned a kidnapped 15-year-old girl into their terrified sex slave, gang-raping her in an apartment where she was forced to turn tricks for six barbaric days.
When the half-dozen suspects were busted, they tried to dodge arrest by claiming their Ozone Park landlord was NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly, authorities said Thursday.
The bizarre ruse was an epic fail, with the suspects quickly cuffed on an assortment of charges involving the Long Island runaway.
Baby-faced ringleader Gary Council, 22, and his five co-defendants held the teen hostage in a second-floor Ozone Park apartment from Feb. 6-12, officials charged.
“You have to obey Gary Council,” commanded co-defendant Andrea Furlonge, the lone woman accused in the vile crime. Authorities said the men were affiliated with the Crips street gang.
The girl’s nightmarish stretch of forced depravity included one night where she was force-fed Ecstacy pills and gang-raped by four of her captors, authorities said.
“This is a horrific case," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown. “She is fortunate to have escaped."
She called cops on Valentine’s Day, two days after escaping when her captors dispatched her to a nearby store. One of the suspects, after his arrest, expressed no concern about the victim, officials said.
“My keys to my BMW are in that house,” defendant Junior Goldring, 23, of Brooklyn, purportedly told cops as he was busted.
Council, accused of kidnapping, rape and other charges, was ordered held on $1 million bail. Goldring, along with co-defendants Omari Millington and Renardo Williams, was jailed on $200,000 bail.
Furlonge 21, was held on $100,000 bail, while sixth defendant Roy McMillan was jailed on $75,000.
McMillan watched as the defenseless teen was repeatedly raped and sodomized by Council, Goldring, Millington and Williams on Feb. 8, authorities said.
Millington and Council allegedly forced her to swallow two tablets of Ecstacy before the assault.
Defense attorney Michael Horn questioned whether the teen’s story was believable.
“You have a victim who’s been raped, drugged and she doesn’t report it for days?” he asked.
Furlonge took nude pictures of the girl and posted them online to lure customers to the apartment, prosecutors say. Furlonge, 21, also coached the girl on how to deal with johns, prosecutors say.
The girl was forced to perform oral sex or have sexual intercourse with a series of men — and then surrender the cash to Council.
“You're not going anywhere,” Council warned the girl when she tried to escape, yanking her back inside the apartment. “You are going to stay here and make my money.”
The suspects were living illegally inside the apartment, which was actually owned by a 63-year-old man who was threatened by the squatters.
“They were partying all the time on weekends,” said neighbor Laura Ibarra, 39, who lived next door with her husband and three kids.
She never saw the captive teen, who was picked up by Goldring on Feb. 6 — the day that she ran away from her surburban home.
Does Oakland Have Another Billy Chambers on Its Hands? Black 14-Year-Old Veteran Robber is Charged with Robbing and Raping Two 28-Year-Old Women Six Days Apart; Relatives Say He’s Innocent, and That They Will Sue for $3 Million for Defamation; No Sign of Mother or Father
When I first saw the WTVU video, “Family promises to fight for teen accused in sexual assault cases,” with reporter Eric Rasmussen’s story on this case back in January, the defendant’s grandmother, Mary Boone, made a positive impression on me. After all, she did bring him in, albeit after his name and description had been broadcast on TV as the suspect, but she didn’t claim he was an honor student, and had a refreshingly no-nonsense attitude.
Here follow my first impressions.
1. The Grandmother: I like this lady. She’s a throwback. Nine-nine percent of the time when a young black alleged cut-throat is in the news and his family speaks, we hear the litany, “He’s a good boy.” “He’s an honor student.” “He was turning his life around.” It’s been years since I heard a defendant’s family member acknowledge a bad history.
1. The boy already had a history of robberies, and had spent time in Juvenile Hall. Whatever his grandmother and aunt may want to believe, criminals—especially black criminals—graduate from robbery to rape every day. And a14-year-old already with a “history of robbery” is not a solid citizen, and shows little sign of becoming one;
2. There are thousands of skinny, black, 14-year-old boys in Oakland, but the police got enough of a description to conclude that this kid was the doer, and his name; and
3. The defendant’s relatives contacted the NAACP, which is practically an admission of wrongdoing: ‘We’re going to get over and get paid, by playing the race card!’
Grandmother Mary Boone told WTVU’s Eric Rasmussen:
They ran out on him like he was John Gotti today. I said, Hello, we [unclear] through a gun, Detective….
I aksed him [N.S.: her grandson], “Tell me the truth.’ I can deal with lies, just let me know what kinda lies I got to deal with. He said, “Grandma, I don’t know nothin’ about no woman.”
Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.
The defendant’s aunt, Sheilah Patterson, said,
Now, if they said he might a did a robbery, I might agree with them. But a rape and a assault? They need to stop puttin’ that on him.
The “family” also told KTVU that the defendant is “mentally disabled.” That sounds like a variation on the crazy card, in which one admits that the defendant is guilty as hell of the crime, but insists that he is not legally culpable for his actions. So, which is it—innocent or guilty?
The outraged family contacted the NAACP, which is a racist shakedown operation, and a defender of guilty black miscreants, and a civil rights attorney.
Oakland Police Department spokeswoman Johnna Watson told the press, “We strongly believe that if we did not put this information out in the interest of public safety, he would not have turned himself in.”
KTVU’s written story casts Mary Boone and Sheilah Patterson in a much harsher light than their respective interviews.
“I ain't going quietly into the night. I'm going to file my $3 million lawsuit for slandering a 14-year-old kid's life,” said Boone.
Patterson emphasized that the defendant still can't read or write.
He's a mentally ill child and they got his name exploited like this!
Emphasizing that a 14-year-old career criminal can’t read or wrote, and asserting that he is insane, is not the best way to gain the public’s compassion.
Note that no one related to this story has expressed any compassion for the two crime victims. Were they perhaps the wrong race? Or have the defendant’s relatives just too busy going on the offensive, to worry about crime victims? After all, isn’t the defendant the victim?
Note, too, that no one related to this story has so much as mentioned the defendant’s parents. Something tells me that they also have inglorious pasts.
How do you “slander” the good name of a 14-year-old career criminal who has been identified as a serial rapist? What I’m hearing about this kid reminds me of Seattle’s Billy Chambers, who at the age of 15 murdered “Tuba Man” Ed McMichael, and who more recently, tried to murder a woman for reporting him for burgling her car. Of course at this point, out of about 19.5 million black boys and men in this country, of which one-third or more of those 21-30 years old have criminal convictions, there may be a couple million like Chambers.
In mid-January, Alameda County authorities said they wanted to try the boy as an adult, but when I tried to find more recent stories on him, there was nothing. That suggested that they had sent the case down the juvi rabbit hole, and the story with it.
We may not hear about this kid again until he’s up for his first murder, in which case he’ll claim to be a victim of racial profiling, and even then, we won’t know that it’s the same victim of racism, because his juvi record will be sealed.
The only reason we know about Billy Chambers, is because he has bragged about getting negligible punishment for murdering Ed McMichael, and said that he will continue to get little or no punishment for his future crimes, a prediction that has so far proven correct.
OAKLAND, Calif. — A 14-year-old Oakland boy was charged Wednesday with four felony counts for allegedly robbing and sexually assaulting two 28-year-old women, according to court documents.
The boy turned himself in at the Alameda County Juvenile Hall in San Leandro on Monday, two days after Oakland police asked for the public's help in locating him.
Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said that in the first attack on Jan. 6, a woman was walking in the 1200 block of Market Street around 10 p.m. when a male who appeared to be armed with a gun approached her and demanded her wallet, police said. The robber then forced the woman to an isolated area, where he sexually assaulted her, police said.
The second attack occurred around 9:15 p.m. on Jan. 12 in the 600 block of 11th Street.
Watson said that in that case, another woman was approached by a stranger on a bicycle who simulated a handgun and demanded her purse, police said. As in the first attack, the woman was taken to an isolated area where she was sexually assaulted.
Watson said it appears the attacker simulated a handgun in both incidents.
The boy is charged with two counts of robbery and one count each of sexual assault and kidnapping for sexual assault.
Mary Boone, the suspect’s grandmother, told KTVU Tuesday she walked with him to the authorities.
“I said, 'Can I hug my grandson?' The man let me and then he handcuffed him,” said Boone.
Boone said she believed that her grandson was not guilty of the two sexual assault charges but she had no choice but to turn him in because police had already put out his name to the public.
“I talked to him and he said he don't know nothing about no woman,” said Boone.
But the boy's family members said they're furious over the release of his name and have contacted the NAACP as well as a civil rights attorney.
“I ain't going quietly into the night. I'm going to file my $3 million lawsuit for slandering a 14-year-old kid's life,” said Boone.
A 14-year-old, who they said still can't read or write.
“He's a mentally ill child and they got his name exploited like this!,” said the boy’s aunt, Sheilah Patterson.
While the Oakland Unified School District confirmed Tuesday that the suspect was enrolled at Oakland High last semester his family says he's been in and out of juvenile hall since then. Boone said her grandson admitted only to stealing a bike and not to the sexual assaults Tuesday.
Alameda County District Attorney spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said the boy is charged as a juvenile at this point but her office will file a motion to ask that he be remanded to adult court after a behavioral study is completed.
The boy is being held in custody and is scheduled to have a detention hearing in Alameda County Juvenile Court at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday.
More American Citizens Kidnapped by Tin Pot, Third-World Dictatorship By Nicholas Stix
It’s an old story: The U.S. government negotiating for the release of American citizens kidnapped by third-world dictatorships, whose dictators then lie about what the Americans were up to. The new wrinkle is that the states of California and Tennessee must now negotiate for the release of American citizens kidnapped by Ayatollah Bloomberg and Imams Brown and Vance. Bloomberg even went so far as to lie, in claiming that kidnapee Meredith Graves was carrying cocaine.
Note that Bloomberg goes nowhere within the U.S. without a gun. He always has an armed bodyguard with him, as he will after leaving office. He just believes the little people have no right to the privilege he takes for granted, the Constitution be damned.
Just a few days before Christmas, Meredith Graves made a mistake that could end her medical career and send her to prison for at least 3 ½ years. The 39-year-old fourth-year medical student was carrying a permitted concealed handgun when she saw the sign at the 9/11 Memorial saying “No guns allowed.” She did the responsible thing and asked a security guard where she could check her weapon. Unfortunately, while her Tennessee concealed carry license is recognized in 40 states, New York isn’t one of them. Meredith was arrested.
Just a week earlier, Californian Mark Meckler told LaGuardia Airport officials that he had licensed handgun in a locked safe in checked baggage. At virtually any other airport in the country, checking a gun locked in a box wouldn’t be a problem. Meckler was arrested and charged with second-degree possession of an illegal weapons. He faces up to 15 years in prison.
Even New York’s second most powerful Democrat and a strong gun control advocate, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver thinks that tourists who accidentally break the state’s strict carry laws shouldn’t have their lives destroyed. “Her actions show a clear indication that she didn’t know she was breaking the law, and when she saw the sign, she said, ‘OK, I do have a gun. Take it from me.’ There was no criminal intent,” said Silver.
As the Tennessean newspaper (Nashville) put it: “[Meredith’s] arrest highlights the confusing patchwork of concealed weapons laws across the nation.”
But New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the local District Attorneys don’t seem interested in showing mercy. They take a zero tolerance approach towards these mistakes. Indeed, a week after Graves arrest, Mayor Bloomberg attacked her at a press conference claiming: “Let's assume she didn't get arrested for carrying a gun, she probably would have gotten arrested for the cocaine that was in her pocket.” But that same day the Manhattan District Attorney’s office acknowledged that Graves did not have any cocaine.
At the Republican presidential debate last night in South Carolina sponsored by Fox News, Republican candidates competed with each other over demonstrating who was the strongest supporter of letting Americans have the right to defend themselves. It is an issue that President Obama’s consistent opposition to gun ownership makes him particularly vulnerable on.
But last night no one took up the cause of Graves, Meckler, and the others who have their lives risk being destroyed by New York City’s laws.
For decades, treating licenses for guns like those for cars was the mantra among gun control advocates. Yet, you don't need a driver's license to drive a car on private property, merely on public roads. And once you get a license, you are allowed to drive any car on any public road anywhere in the United States. You are responsible for obeying the different traffic regulations in different states, but as long as you do, you are fine.
As the four individuals mentioned above learned, current gun laws are much more restrictive than those that apply to cars and drivers. Not only do many states regulate guns when they are on your own property, a license to carry a concealed handgun won’t let you travel the way a driver’s license does.
The proposed National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act passed the US House this last November by a 272 to 154 vote contains two provisions: if your state issues a concealed handgun license, that permit will let you travel to other states. Of course, you also have to follow the rules in the state you visit, so for Illinois -- the single state that still bans concealed handguns -- an out-of-state license wouldn't let you carry a concealed handgun there.
If this proposed law had been in effect when Graves or Jerome visited New York, they would have been fine. New Yorker permit holders would have had to obey the signs and turned in their guns. That is precisely what Graves and Jerome tried to do. The only difference is that they didn’t have a New York permit. Similarly, Benedetto and Meckler would have had no problem checking their locked and safely stored unloaded guns on their planes.
Gun control advocates warn that letting people carry concealed handguns constitutes a “dangerous measure” and “harmful legislation.” But we now have extensive experience with concealed-handgun permit holders. In 2011, about 7 million Americans hold permits that allow them to carry concealed handguns, and only one state, Illinois, still bans concealed carry.
Over the last couple of weeks, the New York Times has launched an attack on the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, apparently worried that it will become law (see also here). So what’s their evidence? They claim that in North Carolina over a five-year period about 40 permit holders a year committed some type of gun or weapons related offense and 12 are involved with some type of weapons related offense. With over 240,000 permit holders, those cases come to annual rates of 0.017 and 0.005 percent, and even the Times concedes that this represents “a small percentage of those with permits.”
The New York Times refuses to share its data and won't provide more details, but if North Carolina follows the typical pattern of states that detailed data is available for, the vast majority of these cases probably don’t involve guns and, even when guns are involved, the guns are unlikely to have been used to harm people – e.g., such as in cases where a permit holder accidentally carried a permitted gun into a gun-free zone.
The same pattern has been observed in state after state. Take Florida. Between Oct. 1, 1987, and July 31, 2011, Florida issued permits to over 2 million people, many of whom renewed their permits multiple times. Only 168 had their permits revoked for a firearms-related violation -- about 0.01 percent.
The Times focused on its finding that North Carolina sheriff departments mistakenly didn’t revoke permits for some permit holders who had committed crimes. The obvious concern is that these individuals might have used their permits to commit another crime. But despite the mistakes and the understandable fears, the story couldn’t identify a single such case over the five years that were studied.
The newspaper also claims that “a few independent researchers” find benefits from right-to-carry laws, and that “many other studies have found no net effect of concealed carry laws or have come to the opposite conclusion." But that is simply false. Overwhelmingly, academic research supports the benefits from these laws. Among peer-reviewed academic studies by criminologists and economists, 18 find that right-to-carry laws reduce violent crime, 10 claim no effect, and just one claims one type of crime increases slightly (an older date list of research is available here).
The incidents with Graves, Meckler, Benedetto, and Jerome shouldn’t keep happening. What is clear is that if the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act passes, just like the original ruckus over passing concealed handgun laws, the fears about allowing people to travel with guns will soon be forgotten.
John R. Lott, Jr. is a FoxNews.com contributor. He is an economist and author of the third edition of "More Guns, Less Crime" (University of Chicago Press, 2010).