Victim Carter Strange, before encountering racelessness.
Carter Strange after encountering racelessness and undergoing surgery.
By Logan Smith
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - All eight suspects are in custody after a brutal attack in Five Points early Monday morning which left the teenage victim in critical condition, according to Columbia police.
Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said most of the eight suspects are juveniles, and did not release the names of any of the suspects. Timmons said no charges have been filed so far, though possible charges could include assault and battery and strong-arm robbery. [But no hate crime or gang assault charges; of course not.]
Police Chief Randy Scott said the 18-year-old victim, later identified as Carter Strange, was jogging through a parking lot near the intersection of Blossom Street and Saluda Avenue just after midnight on Monday when the assault happened. "This teenager was minding his own business, trying to make his curfew when he was brutally attacked and robbed," said Scott.
Strange's mother Vicki said her son was jogging home after visiting a friend slightly past his midnight curfew. "At 12:07 he wasn't home, I called him and said 'Carter where are you?'" recounted Vicki. "He said 'Momma, I am almost home. I'll be there in just a minute.' At 12:15 I called, but the phone was dead."
CPD spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said surveillance video taken in the area showed four of the suspects running towards Carter, though police only released video of the suspects walking on Harden Street. Investigators believe the suspects assaulted Carter and stole his cell phone, before leaving him in the parking lot.
After the assault, Scott said Carter managed to make it a block down the road to Edisto Avenue, where a passerby found him two hours later and called 9-1-1. Carter was taken to a local hospital, where he is still in critical condition.
Vicki rushed to the hospital and to a son she could barely recognize. "I literally bent over him, I recognized his hand and his hair then I said 'that's my son,'" said Vicki.
A relative of the victim told police the beating was so severe that Carter required emergency brain surgery to remove a clot. He's also expected to need reconstructive surgery on his face.
"He did nothing to them," said Vicki. "They didn't know him, they didn't know the kind of person he was, they don't know the kind of man he's grown up to be and they don't know the lives he's touched. But they thought he was so less of a person, they thought this would be okay."
Carter's family told WIS News 10 he had recently graduated from Dreher High School. "As a parent, you don't want to see your kids hurt," said Carter's father, John Strange. "I'd give anything to trade places with him that night and now."
"We have officers working hard to identify these suspects," added Scott. "I am confident that the public will do the right thing and assist us by calling police if they know who these individuals are."
"We got lucky, lucky he didn't die," said Vicki. "Next person won't be lucky. If they did this now, what's to stop them from doing it again?"
Timmons said the most of the suspects turned themselves in with their parents after seeing themselves on the news.
Columbia, SC (WLTX) - Columbia police say they are questioning eight suspects in connection with the severe beating of an 18-year-old man in Five Points.
Columbia Police Spokesperson Jennifer Timmons says the group turned themselves over to police Thursday night. She says seven of them are juveniles.
No charges have been filed against the group.
Timmons says some of the suspects saw themselves in media coverage and decided to turn themselves in, and others were convinced to go to police by their parents.
The group was wanted for the assault of 18-year-old Carter Strange early Monday morning.
News 19's Nate Stewart sat down with Carter's parents, who said they can't understand why anyone would do something like this.
The family gave News19 pictures, in which you can see what 18-year-old Carter Strange now looks like. They say he was beaten, kicked, and left for dead. After he was jumped by eight men in Five Points, his parents knew something was up when he didn't make curfew.
"A friend had texted him, and he stopped to text him back and that's when they jumped him," said John Strange, his father. Sitting next to him, his Vicki tried to avoid reliving what happened.
"When you have eight people on one person and they come up from behind you and hit you on the back of the head first, what do you do? Seriously? What do you do? He didn't have a chance!"
His parents say their son always follows the rules and is always home on time.
"When I think of all of them on my son and the fact that they are probably laughing and getting amusement out of it, makes me livid. Absolutely livid. You try not to let people do that to you until the point you become who they are, but there's a part of me. Yeah I could absolutely become who they are," said Vicki.
A couple passing by spotted Carter lying in a parking lot. A few minutes later, he was being rushed to the hospital. Carter's dad John says he was relieved when he arrived.
"Honestly when I walked in, yeah it wasn't a pretty site. But I was relieved he was alive."
Vicki said her son was unrecognizable.
"That was my son, that was my son. But then it was like that's my son! Yeah we've been looking for him for four hours. Yeah we found him. Ok. We found him."
Carter has broken bones in his face, a broken nose, and had to have emergency brain surgery to remove a blood clot in his head.
"I said if this would have been a car wreck, I deal with it easier. But I can't wrap my mind around eight people, beating someone almost to death for sport," said Vicki
His parents say the first step is getting him home, then for police to arrest his attackers.
"They're criminals go ahead and get them off the street. It might save a life. Next time they might kill somebody."
Carter is expected to have surgery to repair his nose Friday morning. The parents say they hope to have him home early next week.
The published story sticks to the MSM’s m.o. of giving worthless, raceless descriptions, but the first giveaway is when the black anchor, Cynné Simpson, speaks of “two random attacks.” The phrase “random attacks” was originally designed to cover-up racist, black-on-white attacks, but eventually it became clear what was up, and the phrase now reveals exactly what it is supposed to hide. Then, in the video report, white reporter Brianne Carter does her job, and repeats white victims’ vague description of the attackers as black men, 17-20 years old, and approximately six feet tall. I hope Carter’s diligence and service to public safety don’t cost her her job.
Authorities are investigating two separate mob attacks in Woodbridge that left a pizza-delivery man with severe injuries and two others with minor injuries.
The attacks occurred at about 10 p.m. Saturday night. In the first incident, two men, 47 and 35 year old, were walking in the 14400 block of Jefferson Davis Highway when they were assaulted by a group of about five men. The attackers appeared to be in their late teens.
About five minutes later, police responded to the 14100 block of Mathews Drive, several blocks from the first incident. A 31-year-old pizza-delivery man reported that he was attacked by about five young men, who stole his pizzas.
The man was bleeding and unconscious when he was first found. He had to be airlifted to a local hospital with severe injuries.
“I just hope they catch them,” said Woodbridge resident Lyn Taylor.
Thanks to reader-researcher RC.
P.S. “Wilding with intent to murder.” The lone reader comment that WJLA’s censors let pass follows.
1. LGV814 Jun 21, 2011 - 08:39:50 AM
what did Elenor Holmes-Norton call this a few years back ???? oh yeah "wilding" with intent to murder... This article somehow ommitted this but the television reporter covering the same story said the assailants were black men between 17-21...huh an obvisious mistake. I was going to seek pastors of the local church...